Thursday, November 17, 2011

30 Days of Gratitude: Day 17

Day 17: My Mentor or Hero

Well, if you know me a little you might not know my hero. However, if you know me more than a little then you've probably at least heard of my hero, maybe even been friends with me long enough to have met her (lucky you!). My hero was a wonderful woman, brave and responsible, full of joy and love. Determined with a let's get down to business attitude. Capable of loving everyone and accepting people as they are, but then taking that relationship to the next level and letting them know in love that they aren't where they should be. She set an amazing example and had a great sense of humor. She was incredibly strong and yet gentle with both feelings and (most importantly) when brushing my hair into pigtails. Things she said to me over my life I still remember on a daily basis. The hardest part of living the life I live right now is that my hero isn't here to share in all this awesomeness I've been blessed with.

My Grandma, my hero. She was there when I needed her, whether it was love, friendship, community, guidance or correction she never failed me. And even better when I didn't know I needed her for lessons in humility, confidence building, a relationship with Christ and life lessons that I had no idea would stick with me. If only I had cared a little more about cooking I would know how to do something other than bake (though that was one of our most favorite past times, next to doing puzzles, playing cards, watching movies and soaking in the hot tub!)

My Grandma was really the most awesome woman I have ever had the privilege to know and I'm thankful beyond words that I spent the majority of my formative years with her. She is largely responsible for the person I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contributors